Tuesday 14 February 2017

The good just need to shout more, they are here

I am having a brief 4 day visit to the UK to see family. Henley on the river Thames is famous for the Henley regatta and I think I can safely say it is one of the most upmarket places in the UK.
Amazing then you may think in Theresa May' version of the Uk we have people on a long waiting list ready and willing not only to take and house refugees but to give them jobs. Why then is May refusing to take children who are entitled to come saying there are no places for them?
Just in this short visit I have been heartened to hear and be slightly involved in taking a fridge to a couple in Henley who tomorrow are giving a room to a young 24 year old refugee from Aleppo. Neighbours are rallying round and are signing up to be taught Arabic to give the young man extra hours work. He has already found part time work as a translator.
Working as I do with refugees I constantly meet people I would consider the salt of the earth and here in this " smart heartland of England" I have found the salt.
Never let it be said that all of Britains are uncaring bas..'.'...s because in this short trip I have met humanity at its best.
We need these messages to keep up our spirits and to keep up the fight.
comments to taglines82@gmail.com