Wednesday 18 January 2017

Liberty, equality and fraternity... we hope.

I do not think I am alone in my fears on leaving Europe. For those of us who have made their lives here, no longer having the umbrella of being in the European Union with all the rights that brings us. rights to work, rights to medical care, rights to vote in local elections, European driving permits, is something we need to think about. I am hoping there will be agreements made as are we all,  but nothing is certain. I have a Dutch friend in the UK who has real fears that after living their for 30 years, married to an English doctor who is now dead, never taken out citizenship ( like us) feeling being European was enough. Now she hears of friends in similar positions being told they will have no right to health care and even having rights to stay revoked.
I know we have friends living here from Canada and America, who have never had the benefits of the European system, some struggle, some have enough capital to manage.
What we may all have to face this coming year is a growing animosity to foreigners as we start moving into the weeks before the elections here in May. The wave of hatred and populism is sweeping the world and France will be no exception.
We have an example of that right in our local village with the anti Jewish faction already cranking up. Along with this comes homophobia and xenophobia and when this comes from established figures, one is concerned.
I wondered how French friends were reacting to the curé's welcoming of the hate ridden author writing about Jews into a local church.
Well now I know reading posts of French friends that the curé has a  very right wing populist reputation here.
 one comment I read

"As we already knew ... We quarreled very quickly after his arrival, he took the key from the church of St. Sabine which had been entrusted to me by the people here, for refusing to receive Its stinky anti-homosexuality newsletter, anti Europe, anti Globalization, this work of the Devil, anti-everything, in fact. Well I was rather proud to be treated as a bad parishioner, I confess, I confess ...".

I have yet to discover if anyone will do anything to censure him. At least we know he is not a man on the side of "love to all men"

For me keeping your head down is not an option. It is important however hard that we keep our principles of love to all .
Liberty, equality and fraternity are going to be words used  by most political sides but it is who acts on these words which will determine our continued happy future in France.
Sorry for the dismal post on such a bright sunny morning.
I am now off to walk the dogs along the lanes and raise my spirits.
comments to taglines82@gmail.com