Saturday 14 January 2017

Leaving pets, the problems

I must write a post about pets being left behind when expats decide to leave France for whatever reason, health, fears about brexit. To leave a pet is not an easy option and one I find unacceptable. If you take on a pet in my view it is for life and your responsibility. No one else wants to take on an elderly cat for example. Vets will not put them to sleep, they are here to save animal lives not kill them. Whatever your position, you will pay to have furniture shipped home, you will pay your fare home.. you must before the deadline consider your pet. It is going to cost you if you want to leave it. Chats de Quercy will take it but it is not an inconsiderable amount. On facebook I have given some ideas but the best idea is to make provision well before you are due to leave. I have copied the post below.

I will continue to comment on such posts which are now numerous since so many Brits go home and leave their cats and dogs  in unbelievable conditions. You may now realise more info would have helped. I will personally continue to be judgmental when I know how many cats are just left to fend for themselves, locked out of their homes without food, dogs left roaming locked out.. believe me I know many like this.
We thought the French were not caring of their pets but I can tell you, we Brits are just as bad if not worse.
The problem with an elderly cat is the possible vets bills, could the owner leaving continue to pay these? Could they pay Chats de Quercy a very large sum to take Mimi in? could they have the cat placed in a cattery till a home can be found as they leave Monday? I know from the number of times I am asked on TAG to home cats the problems that there are. I did manage to rehome two elderly cats with a lady called Danielle Dicsi in the Lot who is an inspector for the Brigitte Bardot foundation, called "La mere aux betes" Tel 0565219450  She took them for a small donation. I think she has a link if googled.
comments to taglines82@gmail.com