Tuesday 6 December 2016

Nous sommes le mardi six decembre

I am so pleased I was described by a friend as an activist. Now I thought how wonderful I have got to 70 and have suddenly become an activist.
I thought I had better check the actual definition of an activist:-
An activist is a person who campaigns for some kind of social change. When you participate in a march protesting the closing of a neighborhood library, you're an activist.
Someone who's actively involved in a protest or a political or social cause can be called an activist. Demonstrations, strikes, and sit-ins are all ways that an activist might work toward the change she believes in. The root word of activist is the Latin actus, "a doing, a driving force, or an impulse." Someone who acts on what she believes is an activist.
I suddenly realised without knowing it I have always been an activist, probably why I land in hot water sometimes. 
My biggest campaign was trying to get disabled access to our library branch library. After a years intensive campaigning I achieved it but sadly I see years later that library is no longer in use.I  also campaigned to keep a green belt area, lost that one.
This is the first time I have campaigned for my country, but I will keep up the campaign for the UK to stay in Europe as long as I can.
My humanitarian activies with refugees are simply that, a humanitarian gesture.
Tongue in cheek
I will look at posters of Che Guevera now and think that could be me up there, imagine an old granny sitting on a donkey. Infact I have a lot of activist friends so we could all be on that poster.