Thursday 15 September 2016

My best day

"My best day " he said
How this pulls at my heart strings and please just try and imagine if this was your son.

"My home was Uganda, I will never, can never go back.
I have been in France three years and have never made a proper friend who would invite me into their home.
I have waited three years for an asylum interview, which I have now just had, it must have been a record I was interviewed for 6 hours a day for two days. They say I will hear back, maybe in December.
I am allowed to work but cannot find a job even though at home I was a mechanic of big machinery. I work with the Croix Rouge delivering meals and helping them move furniture. I do not get paid but I like being busy and helping people.
 Some of the people there say hello when they see me outside, some don't, but no one has ever invited me to their home. That is why when I hear Misbah talking about his friends in St. Antonin, I felt he was so lucky. I am really pleased to be here."

I said " please call me Mama Val" you are one of our boys now.
Like Misbah, Shavan  has 3 children, like Misbah one born after he escaped.
What are the chances of him ever seeing these children again... I do not know and I suspect Savan does not know either.

When you are getting your children ready for school or tucking them up in bed with a story, think how lucky you are and think... is there anyone who needs my help. 
There could be people just like Shavan in your town or village.

Shavan now shares a room with Misbah in a HUDA which having been to see, (not allowed in of course,) they tell me is like a prison and I can see why they say that.
Not all fortunately are like this one.
Find out if refugees are being housed in your area by asking at your local prefecture, your mairie or even in desperation your local branch of the Croix Rouge.

If you live near Bruniquel and the old gendarmerie, you will have an opportunity to make a difference to someone's life. All three of us will be there tomorrow greeting you and helping you in with your donations.
Just got back from St.Antonin wandering round the streets and Shavan said " in three years in France this has been my best day"
It takes so little to make someone happy.